Depression is a serious issue among College students.
The change from high to College is complicated by going from childhood to adulthood with the responsibilities that entails, let alone the stress of passing College then eventually finding a job.
Here’s depression among College students by the numbers.
- 1 in 4 College students is believe to suffer from some form of mental illness, including depression.
- 44% of College Students report having symptoms of depression.
- 75% of College students not seek help for mental health problems
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among College students.
- 4 out of 5 College Students who either contemplate or attempt suicide show clear warning signs.
- The number of students taking psychiatric medicines increase more that 10 percentage points in the 10 years to 2009.
- 93% of students who accessed College counseling support in one study in 2008 were diagnosed with one mental disorder, that number increased to 96% in 2009.
- One our of every four to five students who visits a university health center center for a routine cold or sore throat turns out to be depressed